Thursday, February 12, 2015

My C64 use 12V DC (battery) power source now.

I would like to show you my new update to my C64 project. Shortly speaking it IS portable, battery powered C64 personal computer. I am a big fan of the C64 device. My coding begun on this device. I have one C64G device which I will modify a lot :) and I will post here a description of my work progress.

So what we have now?

  • SD2IEC - I made it myself.
  • Mini LCD screen - Simple small rear view car LCD screen
  • Build-in stereo amplifier with nice speakers
  • Stereo SID - I made it myself.
  • C64 original ROM and JiffyDOS OS with OS switch that auto reset on change.
  • 12V DC input - I can power my device using any common 12V 2A power source or RC Li-Poly battery.




Last days I do another round of upgrading my C64. I installed two pulse converters to get 5V and 9V DC to power my device. I decided to use DC to DC converters because I planed to use battery to power the device and I don't want to loose any energy from it. I added 12V power socked and RC Li-Poly battery socked. My C64 is fully portable device now. Common 2200mAh RC battery is enough to power C64 for 1.5 hour. To protect Li-Poly battery from discharging it to low I added simple RC voltage monitor that will buzz if voltage is below 3.3V.

Info about previous modifications you can find here:
http://wpqrek.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-c64-mods.html

Some actual photos:

4 comments:

  1. Smaller internal speakers would have been nice, and a larger screen...
    Speakers can't sound very well without being mounted inside a renonance box of some kind.
    Why not mount the battery internally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have small laptop speakers with resonance box waiting to mount inside a c64 case. I didn't mount battery internally because I use external charger for it and to be honest it will not fit inside.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great modification, thanks for taking the time to share this wonderful masterpiece :-)

    ReplyDelete